Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Upon Reflection

I’m not as upset about this as Eric Zorn, but I do find it odd that so many Illinois lawmakers want the state to require a moment of silence in classrooms at the beginning of each day.

Require? I mean, a person’s personal reflection, no matter what its purpose, can certainly be attained by that individual pretty much at will. I suspect I spent most of my classroom time as a youth “reflecting” on my day ahead, what an asshole that one guy is, what I’m doing after school, on why the clock is moving so slowly and, of course, how cute the girl over there is (oh and the one over there too). And I probably even said a few prayers, mostly that the teacher didn’t call on me to regurgitate something I decided not to study. All that without a single mandate from the state.

No comments: