Monday, March 19, 2007

Reading the Audience

This seems so simple to me but I guess partisan eyes will interpret things differently. I’ve seen a number of bloggers and others on the left admire the large crowds Barack Obama draws and declare their must be something really special about his message. But I’m not sure so much should be read into the size his audiences relative to other candidates. I think a substantial portion of those he attracts are there to see a political star. I mean the guy does have charisma. While I think most in attendance at these appearances are politically sympathetic to Obama’s message, I think they are likely agreeable to most of the other Democratic candidates’ positions as well. It’s just the other candidates aren’t perceived of as stars worth going out of their way to see in person. I don’t post this to belittle Obama in any way, I just think the larger crowds are attracted by the man to a greater degree than any other candidate in recent history. Which, by the way, never hurts in a run for the White House.

No comments: