Thursday, March 22, 2007

Props

I have several books on my shelf at work related to the job I do. Some have been sitting there for years. Just sitting. A part of me keeps them around because I think I might want to refer to them or, in a moment of compete fantasy, I pretend I might actually read them all the way through. Fact is, almost any problem I run into I can resolve using the internet. I really don’t need those books.

So yesterday, I’m looking at them and wondering why I really keep them. It’s true that I hate throwing away any book but I think I keep them because I’m under the illusion they make me look like I’m well versed in my job. “Hey, he has books on his shelf that I wouldn’t understand; he must be brilliant at what he does!” Or something.

So do you keep useless stuff on your desk that maybe makes you look, or at least feel, more professional? I’m talking about things you really don’t need or use but project an image of being more into you job than perhaps you really are.

6 comments:

John said...

Dave-

I know exactly what you're saying. When I worked in an office, I always kept a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style and an MLA Handbook on my desk. I thought it made me look wordy and cool. But I kept it around so people would know I was serious about my work.

Dave said...

John,

That reminds me. I also keep a small, hard-copy reference set (dictionary, thesaurus, etc.) at my desk. How 20th century is that?

Anonymous said...

My Bluebook. It's a crutch. Even having memorized the parts that apply to me, I still can't let it go. Also, these days, when I buy new software or even new hardware, I prefer not to get the manual. It just clutters the place up.

ThirtyWhat said...

I totally understand. Right now I'm looking at an Access 2000 VBA Handbook on my desk ... that I've used twice in the last five years.

There's also a text book called "Windows XP Command Line" ... which I keep around because the title on it's spine looks so impressive. Between you and me ... it's just a book of DOS commands ... dir ... tree ... xcopy ...

Shhh .. tell no one.

Anonymous said...

I measure the "books" I need in feet. I'd say around six feet thick or so at this point.

Do I use them?

Some every day, some almost never.

Would I throw them away because most of the material is available on our corporate Intranet site?

Never!

Ever try to find something in a big hurry through an Intranet search?

The Internet is useful too, but I'm not ridding myself of any manuals - not if I want to do my job right.

JP

Anonymous said...

does Penthouse count?