Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Obit Upgrade

One of the things I really didn’t like about the SJ-R online was the obits section. It used to give only names, ages and city of residence. No detail though.

Well that’s all changed. As of today you not only get the full obituary online but photos and an impressive guestbook function that allows you to leave not only messages of sympathy but audio messages and pictures. I think that’s really great.

I’m not sure why the SJ-R was so slow in at least providing detailed obits. Every other online newspaper I read has included the detail in their obits for as long as I can remember. I always figured it was because they thought this would force people to buy the actual paper. Whatever the reason, I’m glad they reconsidered and implemented the new changes.

I must say, I’m really liking the way the SJ-R is embracing the internet. I have no clue about the paper’s business model or how the internet is or isn’t affecting their bottom line, but as a reader I think its use of the new technology is great.

Update: Wow. I guess I’m really, REALLY wrong here. And I say that with a straight face.

Update II:
No – the SJ-R online is a technical, cutting-edge leader in the digital revolution leaving nothing to be desired.

Yes – they are making steady headway into a new age of communication taking caution (perhaps too much caution at times, like many of us) to feel their way into this age while maintaining as they see fit, rightly or wrongly, their primary goal of running a profitable business.

1 comment:

ThirtyWhat said...

Believe it or not, they always offered the full text of the obituary listings ... but you had to be a subscriber to view them.

Even then, you didn't get photos ... or that way cool visitor's book feature. Very nice. Very nice.