Friday, March 16, 2007

The Blago Burden

I don’t think it’s any secret that Springfield Ald. Bruce Strom faces a huge uphill battle against his mayoral opponent, incumbent Mayor Tim Davlin. In fact, if things continue go the way they have been in the campaign, Strom is doomed. He really needs a wedge issue. And I think I heard him try out a good one the other day. It was a sound bite on WMAY where Strom linked Davlin to Gov. Rod Blagojevich. I can’t remember what the larger issue was but Strom went out of his way to indicate Davlin and Blagojevich were on the same page. I know, this would be tactics over substance but I really think more of this might work in Strom’s favor.

There are few public figures as unpopular as Rod Blagojevich here in Springfield. The guy won’t even live here! What, our town isn't good enough for you; we’re offended! He’s laid off my neighbor! State jobs here are being cut! That hair! And on and on.

I don’t know how much TV advertising the Strom campaign can afford (I haven’t seen any yet, which means nothing) but I would think a nice montage of Blago/Davlin chummy joint appearances might drive the point home.

But hey what do I know. A political consultant I’m not. Maybe Springfield voters would see right though such a ploy.

And by the way, I’m not offering this advice for partisan purposes. As of now, I see no reason not to retain Davlin as mayor. I personally see no advantage in brining in a Strom administration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea.

Yes, a montage a duo with Blago.

JP

Anonymous said...

I think that the only way Strom stands any chance of even making this a worthwhile race would be to try and portray Blago the Impaler and Davlin as birds of a feather.